blackbutterfly
Edward met my gaze evenly. His expression was calm, but the pain in his eyes was unconcealed.
Bella Swan, Eclipse, Chapter 23, p.506

I didn’t say it wasn’t the best night I’ve ever spent. Just that I didn’t get a lot of sleep. I thought Bella was never going to shut up.
Jacob Black, Eclipse, Chapter 23, p.509

But, if I had been able to take your place last night, it would not have made the top ten of the best nights of my life. Dream about that.
Edward Cullen, Eclipse, Chapter 23, p.509

Don’t worry about me, Bells. I’ll be fine, just like I always am. ’Sides, you think I’m going to let Seth go in my place — have all the fun and steal all the glory? Right.
Jacob Black, Eclipse, Chapter 23, p.510

All of my best nights have happened since I met you.
Edward Cullen, Eclipse, Chapter 23, p.511

Near the end, though, you started mumbling some nonsense about ‘Jacob, my Jacob.’ Your Jacob enjoyed that quite a lot.
Edward Cullen, Eclipse, Chapter 23, p.512

You love me more than I deserve.
Edward Cullen, Eclipse, Chapter 23, p.513

You’ve always seemed more like a dream than reality.
Bella Swan, Eclipse, Chapter 23, p.513

A hundred years from now, when you’ve gained enough perspective to really appreciate the answer, I will explain it to you.
Edward Cullen, Eclipse, Chapter 23, p.513

It made no difference that Jacob was not human when he cried out. I needed no translation.
Bella Swan, Eclipse, Chapter 23, p.514

Truce over.
Edward Cullen, Eclipse, Chapter 23, p.514

I never promised to fight fair. And he deserves to know.
Edward Cullen, Eclipse, Chapter 23, p.514

Yes. I should save my energy to torment Jacob some more. I wouldn’t want to leave any part of him unharmed.
Bella Swan, Eclipse, Chapter 23, p.515

Do you think I care whether it’s fair or whether he was adequately warned? I’m hurting him. Every time I turn around, I’m hurting him again. I’m a hideous person.
Bella Swan, Eclipse, Chapter 23, p.515

I was hurting everyone today. Was there anything I touched that didn’t get spoiled?
Bella Swan, Eclipse, Chapter 23, p.517


I was selfish, I was hurtful. I tortured the ones I loved.
Bella Swan, Eclipse, Chapter 23, p.517

Edward would never see me shed another tear for Jacob Black.
Bella Swan, Eclipse, Chapter 23, p.517


I had to get over this irrational feeling that Jacob belonged in my life. He couldn’t belong with me, could not be my Jacob, when I belonged to someone else.
Bella Swan, Eclipse, Chapter 23, p.518

It would be no more than I deserved if I somehow lost them both.
Bella Swan, Eclipse, Chapter 23, p.520


There was no end to his generosity. I deserved him now less than I ever had.
Bella Swan, Eclipse, Chapter 23, p.521

I won’t go far, but I won’t listen, either. I know you don’t want an audience, no matter which way you decide to go.
Edward Cullen, Eclipse, Chapter 23, p.521


I had to never hurt him again. That would be my mission in life. Never again would I be the reason for this look to come into his eyes.
Bella Swan, Eclipse, Chapter 23, p.521

Kiss me, Jacob. Kiss me, and then come back.
Bella Swan, Eclipse, Chapter 23, p.525


Jacob was right. He’d been right all along. He was more than just my friend. That’s why it was so impossible to tell him goodbyebecause I was in love with him. Too. I loved him, much more than I should, and yet, still nowhere near enough. I was in love with him, but it was not enough to change anything; it was only enough to hurt us both more. To hurt him worse than I ever had.
Bella Swan, Eclipse, Chapter 23, p.528

That should have been our first kiss. Better late than never.
Jacob Black, Eclipse, Chapter 23, p.530


I lay facedown across the sleeping bag, waiting for justice to find me. Maybe an avalanche would bury me here. I wished it would. I never wanted to have to see my face in the mirror again.
Bella Swan, Eclipse, Chapter 24, p.531

And I thought I fought dirty. He makes me look like the patron saint of ethics. I’m not mad at you, love. Jacob’s more cunning than I gave him credit for. I do wish you hadn’t asked him, though.
Edward Cullen, Eclipse, Chapter 24, p.532


It’s just that he would have kissed you anyway — even if you hadn’t fallen for it — and now I don’t have an excuse to break his face. I would have really enjoyed that, too.
Edward Cullen, Eclipse, Chapter 24, p.532

Bella, did you really believe he was that noble? That he would go out in a flame of glory just to clear the way for me?
Edward Cullen, Eclipse, Chapter 24, p.532

There wasn’t enough room in my body to contain anything besides the hatred I felt toward myself.
Bella Swan, Eclipse, Chapter 24, p.533


You’re such a bad liar, you’ll believe anyone who has the least bit of skill.
Edward Cullen, Eclipse, Chapter 24, p.533

But you are human, Bella. And, as much as I might wish otherwise, so is he… There are holes in your life that I can’t fill. I understand that.
Edward Cullen, Eclipse, Chapter 24, p.533

When I left you, Bella, I left you bleeding. Jacob was the one to stitch you back up again. That was bound to leave its mark — on both of you. I’m not sure those kinds of stitches dissolve on their own. I can’t blame either of you for something I made necessary. I may gain forgiveness, but that doesn’t let me escape the consequences.
Edward Cullen, Eclipse, Chapter 24, p.534


I should have known you’d find some way to blame yourself. Please stop. I can’t stand it.
Bella Swan, Eclipse, Chapter 24, p.534

I can be noble, Bella. I’m not going to make you choose between us. Just be happy, and you can have whatever part of me you want, or none at all, if that’s better. Don’t let any debt you feel you owe me influence your decision.
Edward Cullen, Eclipse, Chapter 24, p.534

What happened to fighting back? Don’t start with the noble self-sacrifice now! Fight!
Bella Swan, Eclipse, Chapter 24, p.535


I don’t care that it’s cold here. I don’t care that I stink like a dog right now. Make me forget how awful I am. Make me forget him. Make me forget my own name. Fight back!
Bella Swan, Eclipse, Chapter 24, p.535

You said I could have any part of you I wanted. I want this part. I want every part.
Bella Swan, Eclipse, Chapter 24, p.535


First, because you are bizarrely moral for a vampire.
Bella Swan, Eclipse, Chapter 24, p.536

We will try, Bella. I’ll make good on my promise. But I’d much rather it wasn’t in reaction to Jacob Black.
Edward Cullen, Eclipse, Chapter 24, p.536

We’ve got skill, training, and surprise on our side. It will be over very soon. If I didn’t truly believe that, I would be down there now — and you’d be here, chained to a tree or something along those lines.
Edward Cullen, Eclipse, Chapter 24, p.537


If I had to bleed to save them, I would do it. I would die to do it, like the third wife. I had no silver dagger in my hand, but I would find a way.
Bella Swan, Eclipse, Chapter 24, p.539

I wasn’t sure how I heard the low sound with all the other noises echoing off the stone wall and hammering inside my head. My own heartbeat should have been enough to drown it out. But, in the split second that I stared into Victoria’s eyes, I thought I heard a familiar, exasperated sigh.
Bella Swan, Eclipse, Chapter 24, p.550

Bella, can you drop the rock, please? Carefully. Don’t hurt yourself.
Edward Cullen, Eclipse, Chapter 25, p.556

You don’t have to be afraid, Bella. You’re safe. I won’t hurt you.
Edward Cullen, Eclipse, Chapter 25, p.556

It’s going to be all right, Bella. I know you’re frightened now, but it’s over. No one is going to hurt you. I won’t touch you. I won’t hurt you.
Edward Cullen, Eclipse, Chapter 25, p.557


Are you… Aren’t you afraid of me?
Edward Cullen, Eclipse, Chapter 25, p.557



   I’m fine. I’m okay. I’m just. Freaking out. Give me. A minute.
Bella Swan, Eclipse, Chapter 25, p.557

I didn’t want you to see that. See me like that. I know I must have terrified you.
Edward Cullen, Eclipse, Chapter 25, p.558


just beheaded and dismembered a sentient creature not twenty yards from you. That doesn’t bother you?
Edward Cullen, Eclipse, Chapter 25, p.558


You know that you nearly gave me a heart attack? Not the easiest thing to do, that.
Edward Cullen, Eclipse, Chapter 25, p.559



Just you wait till I’m a vampire! I’m not going to be sitting on the sidelines next time.
Bella Swan, Eclipse, Chapter 25, p.559


The Volturi do not honor truces with werewolves.
Edward Cullen, Eclipse, Chapter 25, p.564


She’ll come around when she’s ready, Edward. She’s had too much to deal with today. Let her mind protect itself.
Carlisle Cullen, Eclipse, Chapter 25, p.566


As soon as we’re done here, I will do what I can to help him. Sam is trying to get him to phase back to his human form. That will make treating him easier. I’ve never been to veterinarian school.
Carlisle Cullen, Eclipse, Chapter 25, p.567

Overprotective fool.
Alice Cullen, Eclipse, Chapter 25, p.569


A united front, as Edward had said, with me at the heart, in the safest place.
Bella Swan, Eclipse, Chapter 25, p.571

There are no options for those who break the rules.
Jane, Eclipse, Chapter 25, p.572


This one seems to bring out bizarrely strong reactions in our kind.
Jane, Eclipse, Chapter 25, p.576

It’s too bad we missed the fight. It sounds like it would have been entertaining to watch.
Jane, Eclipse, Chapter 25, p.577


Play your role first, Bella, and then you can do what you want second. Part of being a Cullen is being meticulously responsible.
Alice Cullen, Eclipse, Chapter 26, p.581

It might be different for you. I’ve never seen anyone go through this who’s chosen it beforehand. It should be interesting to see how that affects you.
Alice Cullen, Eclipse, Chapter 26, p.583

You are safe inside your mind. No one can reach you there. It’s no wonder that Aro was so curious about your future abilities.
Alice Cullen, Eclipse, Chapter 26, p.584



I’m sorry. I can’t really empathize. My first memory is of seeing Jasper’s face in my future; I always knew that he was where my life was headed. But I can sympathize. I’m so sorry you have to choose between two good things.
Alice Cullen, Eclipse, Chapter 26, p.585

Yeah — in between insulting somebody’s mother and taking the Lord’s name in vain, he said, ‘Bet you’re glad she loves Cullen instead of me today, huh, Charlie?’
Charlie Swan, Eclipse, Chapter 26, p.586

Edward’s more mature than Jacob when it comes to your safety, I’ll give him that much.
Charlie Swan, Eclipse, Chapter 26, p.587


One minute it was that wolf yowling, and then you couldn’t hear it anymore — Jake’s cussing drowned it right out. Got a set of lungs on him, that boy does.
Charlie Swan, Eclipse, Chapter 26, p.588

And Edward was really… nice. He seemed as worried about Jacob as you are — like that was his brother lying there. The look in his eyes… He’s a decent guy, Bella. I’ll try to remember that. No promises, though.
Charlie Swan, Eclipse, Chapter 26, p.588

Have you ever noticed how big those Quileute kids all are?
Charlie Swan, Eclipse, Chapter 26, p.589

If only I could be struck by lightning and be split in two. Preferably painfully. For the first time, giving up being human felt like a true sacrifice. Like it might be too much to lose.
Bella Swan, Eclipse, Chapter 26, p.589


Dr. Fang isn’t sure how much pain medication I need, so he’s going with trial and error. Think he overdid it.
Jacob Black, Eclipse, Chapter 26, p.592

Why didn’t anyone ever try to kill me when I wanted to die?
Bella Swan, Eclipse, Chapter 26, p.592

He wasn’t even mad at me — he wasn’t even mad at you! He’s so unselfish it makes me feel even worse. I wish he would have yelled at me or something. It’s not like I don’t deserve . . . well, much worse that getting yelled at But he doesn’t care. He just wants me to be happy.
Bella Swan, Eclipse, Chapter 26, p.593

I was sort of counting on his reaction. Damn it all. He’s better than I thought.
Jacob Black, Eclipse, Chapter 26, p.593


He’s playing every bit as hard as I am, only he knows what he’s doing and I don’t. Don’t blame me because he’s a better manipulator than I am — I haven’t been around long enough to learn all his tricks.
Jacob Black, Eclipse, Chapter 26, p.594

Don’t you think you ought to know how you feel — just so that it doesn’t take you by surprise someday when it’s too late and you’re a married vampire?
Jacob Black, Eclipse, Chapter 26, p.594

Do I get points for making you cry?
Jacob Black, Eclipse, Chapter 26, p.597

How can we be friends, when we love each other like this?
Bella Swan, Eclipse, Chapter 26, p.597

I’m exactly right for you, Bella. It would have been effortless for us — comfortable, easy as breathing. I was the natural path your life would have taken… If the world was the way it was supposed to be, if there were no monsters and no magic…
Jacob Black, Eclipse, Chapter 26, p.599


Two futures, two soul mates… too much for any one person.
Bella Swan, Eclipse, Chapter 26, p.599

He’s like a drug for you, Bella. I see that you can’t live without him now. It’s too late. But I would have been healthier for you. Not a drug; I would have been the air, the sun.
Jacob Black, Eclipse, Chapter 26, p.599



The clouds I can handle. But I can’t fight with an eclipse.
Jacob Black, Eclipse, Chapter 26, p.600


Silly Jacob — don’t you know better than to believe vampire stories?
Bella Swan, Eclipse, Chapter 26, p.602

I’ll always be waiting in the wings, Bella. You’ll always have that spare option if you want it.
Jacob Black, Eclipse, Chapter 26, p.602

I probably won’t think she’s good enough for you. I wonder how jealous I’ll be.
Bella Swan, Eclipse, Chapter 26, p.603

Sometimes, there isn’t any way to compromise.
Bella Swan, Eclipse, Chapter 27, p.607


Nothing scared Charlie worse than tears.
Bella Swan, Eclipse, Chapter 27, p.608

My hindsight seemed unbearably clear tonight. I could see every mistake I’d made, every bit of harm I’d done, the small things and the big things. Each pain I’d caused Jacob, each wound I’d given Edward, stacked up into neat piles that I could not ignore or deny.
Bella Swan, Eclipse, Chapter 27, p.608

It had not been Edward and Jacob that I’d been trying to force together, it was the two parts of myself, Edward’s Bella and Jacob’s Bella. But they could not exist together, and I never should have tried.
Bella Swan, Eclipse, Chapter 27, p.608


If it hurts you so much, how can it possibly be the right thing for you?
Edward Cullen, Eclipse, Chapter 27, p.610

Edward, I know who I can’t live without.
Bella Swan, Eclipse, Chapter 27, p.610

You may be brave enough or strong enough to live without me, if that’s what’s best. But I could never be that self-sacrificing. I have to be with you. It’s the only way I can live.
Bella Swan, Eclipse, Chapter 27, p.610



Go play with Edward. I have to get to work.
Alice Cullen, Eclipse, Chapter 27, p.614

I’ve chosen my life — now I want to start living it.
Bella Swan, Eclipse, Chapter 27, p.616

At least my mom and dad and my friends will know the best part of my choice, the most I’m allowed to tell them. They’ll know I chose you, and they’ll know we’re together. They’ll know I’m happy, wherever I am. I think that’s the best I can do for them.
Bella Swan, Eclipse, Chapter 27, p.616


Bella, I see what you’re doing. You’re trying to make everyone else happy. And I don’t care about anyone else’s feelings. I only need you to be happy. Don’t worry about breaking the news to Alice. I’ll take care of it. I promise she won’t make you feel guilty.
Edward Cullen, Eclipse, Chapter 27, p.617

We’re doing this your way. Because my way doesn’t work. I call you stubborn, but look at what I’ve done. I’ve clung with such idiotic obstinacy to my idea of what’s best for you, though it’s only hurt you. Hurt you so deeply, time and time again. I don’t trust myself anymore. You can have happiness your way. My way is always wrong.
Edward Cullen, Eclipse, Chapter 27, p.617


You don’t fight fair.
Edward Cullen, Eclipse, Chapter 27, p.620

It’s a good thing you’re bulletproof. I’m going to need that ring. It’s time to tell Charlie.
Bella Swan, Eclipse, Chapter 27, p.620


I’d hate to shatter the dream world you live in — the one where the sun is orbiting the place where you stand — so I won’t tell you how little I care what your problem is. Go. Away.
Jacob Black, Eclipse, Epilogue, p.622

This is making me sick, Jacob. Can you imagine what this feels like to me? I don’t even like Bella Swan. And you’ve got me grieving over this leech-lover like I’m in love with her, too. Can you see where that might be a little confusing? I dreamed about kissing her last night! What the hell am I supposed to do with that?
Leah Clearwater, Eclipse, Epilogue, p.622

Now Sue, she would have made one hell of a wolf. Leah’s more of a wolverine.
Billy Black, Eclipse, Epilogue, p.626

If the silence in my head lasted, I would never go back. I wouldn’t be the first one to choose this form over the other. Maybe, if I ran far enough away, I would never have to hear again… I pushed my legs faster, letting Jacob Black disappear behind me.
Jacob Black, Eclipse, Epilogue, p.629
0 Responses

Post a Comment